My experience, findings and thoughts in my daily work with Oracle products
Luca Canali and ASM Metadata Internals
Published Wednesday, June 14, 2006 by Radoslav Rusinov | E-mail this post
In a recent technical paper Luca Canali explains how to find the mapping between physical storage, ASM allocation units, and database files by querying the undocumented X$ tables.
By using the information retrieved from X$KFFXP table he succeeded to:
Here you can find the full version of the document: A peek Inside Oracle ASM Metadata
- Retrieve a file directly from ASM disks
- Monitor how the extents in a datafile are allocated across ASM disks
- Monitor how a datafile is spread across ASM disks due rebalancing operations
Luca Canali is working in the IT Department of CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research Geneva, Switzerland.
Under HAandPerf section of the PSS Group you can find more very interesting white papers and presentations authored by Luca. Links to some of them:
Luca Canali is the author of SQLPython - a command line tool written in python that emulates Oracle's SQL*Plus basic functionalities.
Another interesting link with lot of technical information:DBA Area of the Physics Database Services Support Group
- » I'm Radoslav Rusinov
- » From Sofia, Bulgaria
- » Employer TechnoLogica Ltd.
- » I am working as a Database Consultant in Sofia, Bulgaria.
My main professional interests are in the database area and especially in the Oracle RDBMS, including database design, development, security and administration.
- » The views expressed on this blog are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employing company and its affiliates
- » My profile
Search This Blog with Google
Search This Blog with Free Find
Search This Blog with Technorati
Oracle News & Blogs Aggregators